One of our favorite ways to travel is the "One Backpack" method. Only having one backpack means less to pack, lug and lose and makes for breezier travels all around. The only drawback? With limited space, where will we put the little culinary tools that help make our precious picnics possible?
We researched mess kits and never found the perfect one for the exact kind of traveling we do—staying at hotels and Airbnb rentals. Most kits were geared for back-country hikers or campers or just didn't have all the items we needed.
Since we couldn't find a mess kit to fit our needs, we curated our own. What we love about our mess kit is that it's light-weight, takes up hardly any space and packs FLAT:
OUR FLAT-PACKING MESS KIT
Want your own? Here's a list of contents along with rough costs and links:
OUR FLAT-PACKING MESS KIT:
- Washable Food Pouch by Lunchskins ● $11.95
- Collapsible X-Mug by Sea to Summit ● $12.95
- Collapsible X-Bowl by Sea to Summit ● $14.95
- Outdoors Knife by GSI ● $0.75
- Spork (Spoon + Fork Combo) by Light My Fire ● $2.95
- Reusable Wine Cork by WidgetCo ● $0.56
- Wine / Bottle Opener by Oenophilia ● $0.50
- Quick-Dry, Mini MultiTowel by REI ● $7.95
OPTIONAL ITEMS TO ADD / BRING:
- 2 Sheets of folded, heavy-duty tin foil (always handy)
- 3 Quart-sized Ziploc bags (great as travel "tupperware")
- 2 Wooden Clothespins (great chip clips or: for clipping towel or washable food pouch to a clothesline)
Do you have additional mess kit tips or ideas? We'd love to hear them. Share in the comments or use our contact form.
Post & 📷 by Richele